Things were running smoothly, until I determined the steering column was too long! Because I was fitting the car with a 1969 front end cross member to lower the car ride height, the steering column would no longer fit. Another delay. I managed to take apart the steering assembly before I had to head back to school.
Pops took the steering column into the local machine shop for me, with the new dimensions. They ended up shortening the shaft by removing a section out of the middle of the shaft.
Another weekend home and we put the steering assembly back together and in the car. Pops had manufactured a couple of steering column adjusters out of a design in the MGB Workshop manual and they worked great. We managed to setup the steering without any problems. Now, the engine.